Child Relocation Laws in Tampa Bay, FL

When a parent either remarries or finds a new job that requires moving to a different state, this decision can create difficulties when the relocation involves their children. If the other parent does not consent to the move, then the court becomes involved to help settle the dispute. Legal representation is required in this case, and you will have to find a family law attorney you can trust.

At the Law Offices of Steven J. Glaros and Associates, our attorneys are here to assist parents who wish to relocate. We also represent parents who are trying to prevent this type of relocation when it affects their children. Our staff has more than 30 years of combined experience in the legal field, so we have what it takes to provide the results you and your child deserve. To learn if we can assist you or find out more about child relocation laws in Tampa Bay, Florida, call our family law firm at your earliest convenience.

Florida Law Concerning Relocation & Child Custody

Florida Statute 61.13001 governs relocation and child custody. Its most important provisions include the following:
A parent with primary residential custody must obtain the consent of the secondary parent if a move of more than 50 miles would affect the secondary parent's ability to carry out court-ordered parenting time.
If consent cannot be obtained, then the parent seeking to relocate must complete the "Notice of Intent to Relocate" and other forms.
If the other parent objects to the relocation, then the court will decide by answering the following questions:

  • Is the move in the best interests of the child?
  • Would the move improve the child's quality of life?
  • Have existing visitation rights been used by the other parent?

Will the parent seeking to relocate be likely to abide by new visitation arrangements if ordered?
Will new timesharing arrangements be likely to support an ongoing, meaningful relationship with the secondary parent?
Can the parents afford additional transportation costs required to comply with any new visitation arrangements?

How Our Attorneys Help With Family Law Relocation

The attorneys at the Law Offices of Steven J. Glaros and Associates will help you prepare the necessary legal documents for family law relocation. We will also work with you to develop either visitation proposals or counterproposals. If a court hearing becomes necessary, then we will accompany you. Additionally, we will consult with experts, including child psychologists, to determine if the relocation is in the child's best interests. After the proposed arrangements have been in place for an agreed-upon time, we will request a temporary order to be revisited at a later date.

Advocating for Parents While Protecting Their Children

In relocations, as in all situations, our goal is to protect the children involved while representing our clients. Call our family law attorney at (813) 586-1999 to schedule a free 30-minute consultation so we can discuss your particular situation. By calling our law office today, you’ll be able to speak with one of our family lawyers today.

Contact us today to work with a law firm that abides by all current child relocation laws. We represent clients in Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas Counties, Florida.